Observatory

The Gifford Observatory was constructed in 1912 for solar observations through the efforts of Charles Gifford, a teacher at Wellington College for many years who inspired many thousands of his students with his love of mathematics and astronomy.

 
The Observatory was moved to its present site in the Wellington College grounds in 1924.  After falling into disrepair, a charitable trust was set up and the Observatory was restored and re-opened on 25 March 2002 by Dr William Pickering, an Old Boy of the College and former Director of the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab at Pasadena, California.
 
Please refer to the Gifford Memorial Observatory Website.